Monday 21 June 2010

Sunday - Plan B




Yesterday should have been a visit to a public leather and fetish street fair in Chelsea, and I did walk down there with the expectation of being able to walk around, as I have at any other street fair, however there was one difference - an entry fee of $10 and an air of 'we don't want you here'. I'm not sure why you would advertise this event widely, and then give people such a cool reception, perhaps the men in charge had a power fetish.

However, did we let that spoil our day, no we didn't. A couple of blocks further down I meet Isack, a photographer, setting up his stand on the street, selling large landscapes on gallery plexi. We exchange ideas and emails, and he points me in the direction of the Highline, an urban garden walkway, created out of a dis-used railway line.

The walk is pleasant, if a little surreal being halfway between the ground and the roof-line. We alight in the 'Meat Packing District', now land of the uber cool and beautiful people. I'm reliably informed that the French restaurant 'Pastis', is one of 'the' restaurants in New York. As I walk by on the sidewalk, I take a sneak peak at the plates of the alfresco diners - ee tha eatin chips - Frites you philistine my sister mumurs. (Aye you can take the girl out of North Shields, but you can´t take...........

No comments:

Post a Comment