Tuesday 15 June 2010

Big, beautiful, but so bloody crowded


I followed up the ICP with the Metropolitan Museum, the main reasons being, 'The Big Bambu' a living sculpture of bamboo created in the roof garden of the museum, and the Picasso exhibition. Unfortunately it felt as though half of New York had also decided to visit today.
I started with the Big Bambu on the roof, which was stunning, as the museum is on the edge of Central Park, so from the roof, there was an extensive tree canopy and gave the feeling of being high up in a forest, so much so I nearly felt a 'House of the Flying Daggers' moment coming on. Sadly however all of the tickets for the guided walks actually through the pathways created off the ground were taken, but I can always go back another day for that treat.

Picasso was packed, the moment I got a view of a painting somebody would step in front of me, and when that happened repeatedly in the following exhibits too I knew it was time to leave for fear of creating a diplomatic incident.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. That happened in a much smaller but equally frustrating way at The Laing Sixties exhibition. Each time my eyes locked with Marianne Faithfull's, someone would step in front of me and come between us. I was hoping for some quiet, contemplative lusting, but it turned out to be a lot of jostling and thrusting!

    ReplyDelete