Thursday 17 June 2010

Magic Moments


Last year while I was in New York I was very fortunate to meet some wonderful people who were 'between apartments' as one of them put it. Darth, Newt, Al and Mariah Carey's would be suitor all made my day with their warmth and humour. Ive missed that element this time round, and decided to take a quiet day off from the hustle and bustle of the streets to concentrate on domestic affairs at East 34th St. However, late in the afternoon I took the bus down to Chinatown to buy some squid and vegetables for dinner, slipping a compact camera into my pocket, just in case I saw anything. Stepping off the bus at the Bowery and turning into the street where the fish stalls seem most concentrated I see Mike, his sign makes me laugh, and he smiles and says 'hey well you have a sense of humour'. I say I think he has one too. I slip a dollar bill into his hand and ask if I can take his picture, which he is happy to give. I take the photo, and wish him well and he wishes me a good day. It was all the better for that moment.

1 comment:

  1. Ah...random connections, unplanned for and unexpected, and all the more potent for that.

    ReplyDelete